Lead Design Engineer
The Vehicle Lead Engineer is responsible for leading the engineering and designing of New BraunAbility Vehicles from start to finish. He will be responsible for the design and integration of all vehicle systems found in today's wheelchair accessible vehicles and set the overall development strategy, maintaining corporate objectives.
Engineer, design and develop new vehicle conversions in CAD (Inventor)
Plan for design, procurement, assembly and validation requirements that align with overall Project Timing, Stage Gate (APQP) and Mitigation Strategies.
Ensure vehicle Designs & Systems conform to budgeted Quality and Cost targets.
Design Mechanism, Structures and Closures
Mentor, Inspire and Guide Vehicle Engineers to produce product differentiators.
Collaborate with cross-functional teams (Manufacturing, Quality, Sales, Portfolio) to assure vehicle designs account for all requirements.
Suggest Low-cost Design alternatives, Common Designs and Standardization.
Build and design prototype vehicles.
Constantly improve designs, processes, and timing, that do not affect the project specifications.
Lead design reviews to assure all vehicle conversions are developed and engineered to meet or exceed requirements.
Review designs of peers for good design practices and any anticipated design concerns.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Expert in vehicle engineering and integration. Must know what is required for a reliable design.
- Proficiency inf mechanical systems is a most and how to integrate it into the design, considering all the Tolerances involved.
- Proficiency in Structural design, sheet metal fabrication, welding processes, LEAN principles.
- Understanding of fuel, exhaust, cooling and braking systems, materials and industry standards
- Experience in several vehicle compartments like Body Structures, Closures & Suspensions.
- Knowledge of materials and benefits of utilizing one type over the other
- Solid working knowledge of quality, design and validation tools including FEA, DFA/M, DOE, D/PFMEA, DVP&R, problem solving (8D or similar), tolerance stacking and LEAN principles
- Must be detail-oriented and a self-starter. Must also possess the ability to function well under the demands of project due dates
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills needed
- Extremely organized, accurate and possesses a strong attention to detail required
- Demonstrated ability to effectively solve and analyze problems
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment
- Prototype fabrication and welding knowledge preferred
- Windows (computer), Outlook (email), Inventor, AutoCad, Vault, MS Office, and Epicor (ERP)
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering is required.
Minimum of 8 years work experience in automotive design is required.
Previous assembly plant launch experience preferred
Dimensional Management and Understanding of GD&T required
Experience with Steel and aluminum part design and manufacturing