POSITION TITLE: Accounting Clerk
STARTING PAY RATE: $21.88/hour
POSITION REPORTS TO: Director of Finance
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt CIVIL SERVICE STATUS:
Classified EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time
JOB DESCRIPTION: General Purpose of Position This position includes responsible administrative and clerical work involving general accounting and payroll functions to support all city departments, including access to sensitive and confidential city and employee information. Work includes accounts payable and receivable processes, purchasing activities and payroll preparation.
Essential Functions/Key Tasks
- Enters accounts payable and receivable information into a central budgetary and accounting software system. Reviews purchase requisitions for appropriateness and proper accounting. Processes invoices and vendor payments, including matching all supporting documentation and getting departmental approval. Receives cash receipts and enters revenue receipts. May assist with preparation of daily deposit and preparation of invoices for payments due to the city. Maintains financial records and files associated with such activity.
- Reviews employee timesheets for compliance with city personnel policies and state/federal law (e.g., FLSA, etc.). Supports the Finance Manager with the creation and distribution of employee deduction checks.
- Assists the Finance Director and Finance Manager in the administration of appropriations as approved in the annual budget, and thereafter in any supplemental appropriations.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of any periodic financial reports, including 1099s required by state or federal agencies. Prepares forms for use by other departments to facilitate proper accounting procedures.
- Provide technical assistance to staff, and assists other departments with questions regarding the status of projects and accounts.
- Assists in compiling information for auditors.
- Maintains contract files for all city contracts and leases. Responsible for ensuring that all contracts are properly executed.
- Assists Finance Director/Manager in administering personnel matters involving city employees, including collective bargaining on behalf of the city. Maintains and creates information used by the city in collective bargaining.
- Responsible for maintaining the city’s capital asset database, including additions and disposals. Maintains the city’s equipment inventory database, including assigning asset numbers and maintaining cost records of work in process. Periodically executes asset audits to ensure that all city assets (particularly non-capital assets) are in possession of the city.
- Serve as receptionist for the Finance department. Provides assistance to citizens needing general information either in person, mail, electronically or on the phone.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTRY TO POSITION TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum high school diploma, supplemented by additional training or education in public finance concepts and practices. Advanced relevant education and/or CPA certification is desirable.
- At least four (4) years’ experience in accounts payable or payroll, office procedures and office management, preference will be given to those with prior public finance experience.
- Demonstrated skill and proficiency in entering information into computer systems and computer operations, including: word processing, spreadsheet, database applications, and internet research. Direct experience with Microsoft Excel and Word is required. Prior experience with Software Solutions Visual Intelligence Portfolio (VIP) is a plus. PERFORMANCE-RELATED JOB SKILLS
- Knowledge of municipal government procedures, rules and regulations, particularly as applied to finance, administration, zoning and utilities.
- Must have exceptional interpersonal and communication skills and ability to establish and maintain relationships with city officials, supervisory staff, fellow city employees, and the general
The City of Pataskala is an equal opportunity employer